Monday, February 6, 2017

SAMR Model

SAMR Model
Several years ago I was fortunate enough to attend the national conference for ISTE in Atlanta, GA. When I was planning the sessions to attend I saw one with SAMR in the title. Not even reading the complete description, I knew I would definitely attend that one as I had been promoting the use of SAMR with the tech coordinators I worked with and encouraging them to share with their faculties.  Imagine my surprise when I finally got to the session and realized it would be Dr. Ruben Puentedura, the developer of the model, presenting. He was and is a true edtech rock star!  To say the least, it was awesome.

For those unfamiliar with the SAMR model, take a moment to review the graphic below. You’ll notice a dotted line across the middle. The line separates the Enhancement levels of Substitution and Augmentation and the Transformation levels of Modification and Redefinition.  For example, think about Substitution. Does your projector simply substitute for your old overhead projector (yes, I am dating myself with that example)?  Or do you use Google docs, but only as a substitute for Word? Now, what if you used Google docs, but gave digital feedback to students while they were in the writing process through the use of comments and by sharing drafts? That would then be moving up to Augmentation; adding a level of improvement to the task. So how could you move up and teach above the line and move into Transformation?



Everyone can be at different places with tech integration, but everyone should also be striving to move to the next level. For more information about the SAMR model and how to see where you are and where you might want to be, let me know; I’d love to chat. For those that want to explore on their own, check out the information on Common Sense media, search Dr. Puentedura's blogor simply search SAMR model on Google and you’ll get lots of info. 

No comments:

Post a Comment