Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Summer Reading

Yesterday I got to see my son's 5th grade ITBS scores.  They were quite good, but several areas of growth for him are reading comprehension, vocabulary, and spelling.  Now, spelling is my area of weakness as well - I was quite friendly with a dictionary when I was younger and spellchecker has been a lifesaver.  All three are related and all three can improve by one simple activity - READING.

There is so much research out there on how to help our kids in school, how to improve test scores, how to improve writing, how to improve vocabulary, and on and on.  It all points to reading.

One graphic I have shared is below:

(http://edudemic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/20minutes.jpg)

That is why Summer Reading programs exist at the public libraries, it's why had summer reading incentives at my schools I worked, it's why I had goofy reading events, dressed in costume, and even provided treats.  I wanted to show how much I enjoyed reading and emphasize how important it was.  Reading matters!

Research proves the importance of reading, hopefully as parents and educators we won't ignore it.  I know I've already talked to my son about the books he might be interested in reading this summer.  We will be heading to the public library this weekend to sign up for their program.  I am planning an incentive for him myself.  I am going to get a book or two we will read together and if I have to use a little tough love of requiring him to read 20 min every day (or so), so be it.  It's why I serve broccoli at dinner even when I hate myself, because it's good for you. Hopefully he will develop a habit of reading and we can find books he will pick up on his own without my prodding - fingers crossed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment